Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Blog 8

I found myself bewildered yesterday after I Google image searched the top women pop singers in America, such as Mariah Carrey, Beyonce, Brittney Spears, ext. I was bewildered because of the extraordinarily raunchy pictures that were displayed of them. In those moments of sifting through their pictures I realized even more so that women in westernized culture are seen as sex symbols. Granted I have known that sex sells and that it is an industry standard, however seeing the raw footage in front of my eyes on my computer screen gave me a very bright awakening. This lead to my next question, what do popular singers in non-westernized cultures look like, and how are they portrayed by their culture? I surely know how Americans portray their top singers, with use of sex and demoralization but what is it like for women singers in Asia, India, or Kenya? I did a bit of research and found the following pictures. The first is of a young female from Singapore her name is Tanya Chua Jian Ya. She is currently a pop star coveted in Asia, including Taiwan, China and Hong Kong. I looked through the pictures of her on Google image and came across the following one which was a great representation of all of her pictures.This picture is tasteful and not blatantly sexual and most of the pictures that came up when I Google imaged her were like such. view picture at

http://www.ginnwei.com/2008/07/31/tanya-chua-tacit-understanding-new-best-collection/

Next, I found Sharon Prabhakar an Indian Pop star. Her pictures were also quite classy and the one I put below is the most sexual one I could find of her which is nowhere near the level of sexual promiscuity that Euro/Americans have on their artists. view at http://www.hindisong.com/Interview/Interview.asp?ContentID=1075

Finally, I found Amani Museke who is one of the biggest female stars in Africa. She is from Kenya to be precise, and quite frankly it was hard coming up with a sexual picture of her on the Google image as well. The picture I found was arguably the most sexual one out of the whole vat.- veiw at http://www.museke.com/node/2189

Overall, I wish I could post some of the most sexual pictures of American/Euro women pop singers but I would probably be kicked out of class. From all the countless pictures I could tell I viewed that non-westernized cultures hold their top women singers accountable for their actions and view them with more respect than American or European cultures. Is it unfortunate, YEAH, DEFINITELY, should this be a topic that is studied and brought out in public YEAH!!!! FOR SURE, however besides my ranting I hope this blog offers some insight into how different cultures view their top female pop singers verses how westernized cultures view there pop singers and I really hope that westernized countries begin to see the harm they do to the female image, by making such sexual images of our top female talents acceptable.

Sorry that I could not figure out at more reasonable way to show case the pictures with in the blog... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment